Things To Know About Car Care In Winter
Things to know about car care in winterWinter is here, and it’s time for extra precautions to keep yourself and your home safe and weather-ready. Your car also needs special care as the temperatures drop. Looking after your vehicle in the colder periods of the year may make all the difference in situations where you need your car to start on time instead of being dead when you are in a hurry. Knowing how...
Things To Know About Car Care In Winter
Things to know about car care in winter
Winter is here, and it’s time for extra precautions to keep yourself and your home safe and weather-ready. Your car also needs special care as the temperatures drop. Looking after your vehicle in the colder periods of the year may make all the difference in situations where you need your car to start on time instead of being dead when you are in a hurry. Knowing how to care for your vehicle in the winter months may be confusing, especially if you have just bought a vehicle for the first time. Here are some frequently asked questions on winter car care that can help you take proper care of your car.
How can you ensure that your car always starts during winters?
- One of the biggest problems most car owners face in winters is having to deal with a dead engine. A simple way to overcome this problem is to have the car battery checked before the winter months set in.
- If the car battery is already weak in the summer months, it is definitely going to give up in cold weather.
- A car battery can be checked through a volt test.
- Additionally, check the levels of coolant (antifreeze) in the car. This engine fluid prevents the car engine from freezing.
Are there any crucial engine fluids you should be checking?
- In winters, it is extremely important to keep the gas tank full, always. You never know when you could get stuck, and having a running engine may keep you warm in an emergency.
- Additionally, having a full gas tank may prevent water from freezing in the fuel tank.
- Next, ensure that the windshield wiper liquid is also filled to its fullest. You will need to keep wiping your windshield in case of a storm, and having the fluid filled at all times is a matter of good car care and personal safety.
- Check the engine oil levels to ensure that it is filled above the minimum level.
- Moreover, cars often require a different engine oil, with a viscosity level suited for winter, in the colder months. Check the manufacturer’s manual for recommendations and get the oil changed.
How essential are snow tire chains?
- Snow tire chains provide increased traction while driving through areas of heavy snow and slippery ice.
- The use of snow chains may greatly reduce the chances of skidding in snow and improve a car’s braking system action.
- Before fitting your car with snow chains, do check the owner’s manual to know whether your vehicle model supports the use of these chains.
- The maximum recommended speed when driving with chains is 30 miles an hour.
How can you protect the windshield wipers from snow damage?
- Always keep the windshield wipers raised to prevent them from sticking to the windshield in the event of heavy snowfall.
- Never use windshield wipers to clean heavy layers of snow off the windshield as this may damage the wiper blades. Use a good scraper to do the job instead; it is much more effective as well.
Are there any other crucial car care tips for the winter months?
- Before the winter months kick in, ensure that you check the car’s defroster and climate control system. Climate control is essential to maintain heat in the car, and the defroster will stop the car windows from icing up and blocking your view.
- Winter months mean you will be driving in the dark a lot more. This calls for good headlights. Check your car to ensure that all the headlights and indicators are in working condition. If any of the lights seem to go dull, replace them immediately.
- Do not let falling leaves gather up in pipes in your car as this may cause corrosion.
- Apply a layer of polymer wax to protect the car exteriors from snow, sleet, and grime in the winter months and maintain your paint job.
Copyright © 2021 ANSWEROPEDIA.NET